The darker the color, the more favorable the climate conditions are for survival. The outlined areas represent approximate current range for each season. More on reading these maps.
This species breeds in brushy prairies, forest edges, and even Christmas tree farms. It is, therefore, adapted to colonizing new areas, an attribute it will need for the future. Audubon’s climate model projects that the summer climate space for this dapper little sparrow will decrease by 52% and shift by 82%, leaving only 18% of the current core available by 2080. The winter climate space in the United States may increase, but most Clay-colored Sparrows spend their winters south of the US-Mexican border.